I love incorporating unconventional exercises in my circuit. These are the exercises that use equipment you will not find in your regular commercial gym, such as the Tires, Sledgehammers, Logs, Battling Ropes, Landmine, Prowlers and Power Sleds to name a few.
They really help to expose the weaknesses in your body, so you can work in improving those attributes.
The movements used in the exercise force you to incorporate most of the muscles in your body; both slow and fast twitch fibers. Training all at once will help to stimulate muscle growth, strength endurance and explosive power.
As a Combat Athlete you may not be blessed to have access to all this equipment but if you do, incorporate one or all into your overall training sessions.
Here is a KILLER POWER CIRCUIT that I did this week at SST Canada Oakville with Coach Delroy. We chose exercises that translate into MMA and combat sport. Working on Power, Strength, Muscular Endurance, Cardio, Core stability, Hip and Truck Rotation, Balance and Explosion.
It was one of the most challenging workout sessions for me to date. I really had to tap into my mental toughness to get through.
I advise you to add a couple of these exercises into your overall training this week.
Check out the new Elite Strength and Conditioning for MMA and Combat Athletes program for tons of Exercises, Drills, Workout and Instructional Videos for download) –
CLICK HERE – http://www.funkflexmmaworkouts.com
MMA POWER CIRCUIT – Strength and Conditioning Circuit – Focus is Power, Stability, Cardio, Muscular Endurance, Mental Toughness
This workout would fit into the Strength and Conditioning category of your training that you should be training at least 3X per week. These workouts are performed at high intensity using your bodyweight and resistance. You will train your explosive power, muscular and strength endurance along with cardio and overall conditioning.
Perform each exercise one after the other for 45 seconds of work followed by 15 seconds rest. Rest for two minutes and repeat for 3 full rounds.
Warm Up before and Stretch after your training session
MMA Power Circuit – Strength and Conditioning Circuit
1. One Arm Sledgehammer Swings – Shoulder Endurance, Grip And Core Strength. Hip Rotation And Mobility
2. Lambo Obstacle with Jump Squats – Leg Strength, Explosive Power, Core Stability, Balance, Grip Strength, Agility
3. Log Clean and Press – Hip Explosions, Power And Shoulder Endurance
4. Sled Power Drag with Zercher Bag Holds – Explosive Lower Body Power, Core Stability, Balance, Upper Body Muscular Endurance, Center of Gravity
5. Battle Ropes with Band Resistance – Grip Strength, Upper and Lower Body Muscular Endurance, Core Strength, Arms and Shoulders
6. Rotational Sledgehammer Swings – Hip Rotations, Explosive Power, Shoulders and Upper Body Endurance
7. Churpees (Sprawl Chin Ups) – Cardio, Explosive Plyometrics, Back and Upper Body Strength
8. Prowler Chucks – Upper Body Endurance (Chest And Arms), Power, Explosiveness
9. Land Mine Grappler Rotations – Grip Strength, Forearms, Wrist, Hip Rotations, Core Strength, Upper Body Strength
10. Water Log Famers Walk Figure Eights – Truck and Shoulders, Core Stability (Obliques), Balance,
Check out the new Elite Strength and Conditioning for MMA and Combat Athletes program for tons of Exercises, Drills, Workout and Instructional Videos for download) – CLICK HERE